At Children’s Landing, we believe in creating a healthy and beautiful smile through early intervention orthodontics. We work with your child’s natural growth and development to create a smile that will last a lifetime.
Our dedicated team is experienced in early orthodontic treatment and offers the latest technology and techniques. We offer RPE orthodontic appliances and space maintainers to help guide your child’s teeth into their proper position. If you have questions, feel free to give our West Jordan, UT office a call.
Benefits of Early Orthodontics
There are many benefits to beginning orthodontic treatment early, including:
- Better oral health: By correcting dental problems early, your child can avoid more serious oral health issues in the future.
- Improved appearance: A beautiful smile boosts confidence and self-esteem.
- Easier treatment: Early intervention can mean shorter, less invasive, and less expensive treatment down the road.
- Improved speech and function: Orthodontic treatment can improve your child’s speech and bite function to make eating and speaking easier.
Signs Your Child Needs Early Orthodontics Treatment
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends early orthodontic treatment for children by age 7. However, every child is different, and some may need treatment earlier.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s time to bring your child in for an evaluation:
- Protruding teeth
- Mouth breathing
- Thumb sucking after age 5
- Difficulty chewing or biting food
- Crowded or misplaced teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening or closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally or don’t meet at all
- Facial imbalance or asymmetry
- Sucking their tongue excessively
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
If you’ve noticed any of these signs in your child, don’t wait to seek treatment. The earlier we can begin, the better the outcome will be. Call our West Jordan, UT office today to schedule an appointment.
Types of Early Orthodontics We Offer
While every child’s treatment plan is unique, we offer a variety of early orthodontic treatments to meet your child’s needs, including:
- RPE (Rapid Palatal Expander): A fixed palatal expander that is used to widen your child’s upper jaw. This helps to make room for crowded teeth and makes it easier for your child to breathe.
- Space Maintainers: If your child loses a tooth prematurely, a space maintainer can help prevent the surrounding teeth from shifting into the empty space. This helps to make sure there is enough room for the permanent tooth to come in.
RPE Orthodontic Appliance
An RPE is a type of early orthodontic treatment to help guide your child’s teeth and jaws into their proper position. It is a fixed appliance, meaning it is attached to your child’s teeth and cannot be removed.
The appliance itself consists of an expansion plate that is attached to your child’s back teeth and a screw that is turned daily to gradually widen the palate. This helps to make room for crowded teeth and can also improve your child’s bite. The RPE is usually worn for about 4-6 months, after which time your child will need to wear a retainer to keep their teeth in place.
A space maintainer is a type of early orthodontic appliance used to prevent the shifting of teeth when a baby tooth is lost prematurely. If a baby tooth is lost too early, the permanent tooth no longer has a guide, which can result in it drifting or erupting in the wrong position. A space maintainer helps to hold the space open until the permanent tooth can come in.
Space maintainers are available in both fixed and removable options. A fixed space maintainer is cemented into place and can only be removed by a dentist. A removable space maintainer is similar to a retainer and can be taken out by the child.
The type of space maintainer your child may need depends on their case. Our team will be able to recommend the best option for your child. Space maintainers are usually worn for 6-12 months, after which time they will be removed.
Securing Your Child’s Oral Health From The Beginning
At Children’s Landing, we are dedicated to providing your child with the best possible care. Early orthodontic treatment can help to ensure a lifetime of healthy smiles. If you think your child may benefit from early orthodontics, call our West Jordan, UT office today to schedule an appointment. We’ll be happy to assess your child’s needs and develop a treatment plan that is right for them. Contact us today to get started!